Monday, April 7, 2014

An Introduction

Hello readers, whomever you may be. Creepers, stalkers, tech enthusiasts, people at work and bored, awesome people, crazy cat ladies; whatever. Welcome to the blog. The blog of the future.


Pictured: The Future. (credit: Photo by Jonathan Stephens http://www.jrsfilm.com)
Ok not really the future, but close enough. Here's the intro in brief: My name is Nathan. I'm a Masters Student at UCI in Computer Science: Informatics. If you don't know what that is, that's ok. Our department even made a pamphlet to explain what it is. So again: it isn't you, it's me.

Informatics is a wide-encompassing discipline-type-thingy that includes such magical things as HCI (human computer interaction), UX (user experience) in both research and design, software engineering, game research, CSCW (computer supported cooperative work), and just about anything else your little mind can wrap itself around. Basically it's where people who like computers but don't like programming go to talk about computers and not code anything.

It's pretty majestic.

Pictured: Majesty
So what is the point of this blog? Well, I'm a man of many words. Brevity is not my strong suit. I'm also a man of a lot of really awesome (well, I think they are) ideas. That's why I write books, at that OTHER blog that I never update. And also why I review video games on that other OTHER blog I don't update. And play video games for posterity on that YouTube channel I actually do update. I also make things out of plastic beads for children. So yeah. Lots of interests.

Basically, I like to think a lot about a lot of things. And up until a while ago I was content keeping them in my brain (with a few spilling out into books, reviews, and occasional rants about which ramen flavor is the best), but now I'm going to blab about them on here. The topic, you might ask? THE INTERNET.

Yes that internet. 
Or, more specifically, technology, design, and how I think about certain things. So one day I might talk about Steam or something, and the other day I'll talk about Mapquest and AskJeeves.com (remember that? Ask Jeeves was great. HOW DID HE KNOW SO MUCH?!). It'll be a plethroa of mind barf from my head to Blogger's pages, and you'll hear things that will blow you away and make you think how brilliant I am.

Or you'll get mad and think I'm wrong, that's fair too. Either way, something interesting results from it.

So stay tuned, dear readers, whilst Nathan rambles about technology. And if you want to try and prime the pump (or ignite the fire) and give me something to ramble about, feel free to leave a comment or shoot me a message and I'll probably ignore it and talk about something else. But I promise I'll at least think about it, if only for the duration of the message itself.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment